Bloody Clothes Found at Crime Scene in Fatal Stabbing

Thank you for reading D.C. Witness. Help us continue our mission into 2024.

Donate Now

On Nov. 16, witnesses testified before DC Superior Court Judge Rainey Brandt that a defendant accused of a fatal stabbing was allegedly found with bloody clothing when he was stopped by police.

Marquette Jordan, 32, is charged with second-degree murder while armed, assault, and carrying a dangerous weapon outside of a home or business with a prior felony for his alleged involvement in the fatal stabbing of 40-year-old Ivan Lynch that occurred on April 30, 2018, on the 900 block of Fifth Street, SE. 

The prosecution called an investigator from the Department of Forensic Science (DFS) who allegedly observed blood on Jordan’s pants and tank top and collected it for evidence. The T-shirt that Jordan was wearing that night was ripped in the collar. 

The witness also photographed two other individuals but didn’t find any blood.

Defense counsel, Michael Bruckheim, asked why Jordan’s were the only clothes collected for evidence, despite two other individuals being there. The witness responded since no blood was found on their clothing, she wasn’t asked to evaluate it. 

Additionally, the prosecution called the lead scientist from DFS who displayed Lynch’s hoodie, T-shirt, and tank top to the jury, and stated that there was blood and multiple cuts found on the front and back of each garment. She explained the clothing had to be placed in a drying cabinet in order to be processed because they were wet with blood and there was also an unidentified bloody shoe print found at the scene.

The prosecution also called the overnight security officer from the apartment complex who testified at some point three men, two women, and two children entered the building. According to the officer an individual wearing a hood accompanied by two children later left the building.

Lastly, prosecutors called a Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) detective who found Lynch lying on his back began administering CPR. Lynch was later pronounced dead at MedStar Hospital.

During cross examination, Bruckheim asked the detective why he never questioned any witnesses if they cleaned up the scene before police arrived since there were bloody paper towels and water found next to Lynch’s body. 

The witness responded his priorities were helping Lynch and securing the crime scene.

Parties are set to return Nov. 17 to continue witness testimony.

Follow this case