Defendant Pleads Not Guilty to Sexual Abuse

On Oct. 31, a DC man was arraigned for the sexual abuse, kidnapping, and aggravated assault of a woman he knew for over thirty-five years. 

On March 30, the Metropolitan Police Department Sexual Assault Unit responded to an assault that occurred on the 1800 block of Columbia Road, NW. When officers arrived on the scene, they found the defendant on top of the complainant “tussling” with her. The defendant wanted to have sexual intercourse and when denied, he dragged the woman into an alley. 

The woman resisted and struggled with the defendant as he pulled her pants down to her mid-thigh area. He repeatedly punched her in the face until the victim was laid out on the ground. The defendant proceeded to engage in sexual acts with the victim. She was transported to a local hospital with severe injuries to the face. 

Upon questioning, the defendant described the victim as a “hoe” exerting that she was an extremely promiscuous woman.

He also stated that the victim is a “drunk” and a “prostitute.” The defendant said that the victim fell in the alley and that they “smoked crack” together. He indicated that the victim also smokes “dippers” known as Phencyclidine (PCP), an hallucinogen, and drinks vodka.

The defendant has been charged with three counts of attempted first-degree sexual abuse offenses committed during release, two counts of third-degree sex abuse-force offenses committed during release, kidnapping offense committed during release, aggravated assault knowingly offense committed during release, assault with intent to commit first-degree sexual abuse offense committed during release and assault with significant bodily injury.

“That’s not true,” the defendant repeatedly said as the charges were being read to him. The defendant pleaded not guilty to all charges. 

The defendant also has a misdemeanor case open involving a simple assault where he assaulted another victim and called her a “whore.”

Defense attorney Lisbeth Sapirstein is pushing for another status hearing. The defendant remains held without bail.

Prosecutors are willing to continue this case into a new hearing as they prepare a global plea offer for the defendant.

DC Superior Court Judge Maribeth Raffinan scheduled the next hearing for Dec. 19.

Notifications are not yet available for this specific case. Please check back later for updates. Thank you.