DC Superior Court Judge Jason Park granted a homicide defendant more time to consider a plea offer on May 15.
Tyquan Jennings, 27, is charged with second-degree murder while armed, assault with a dangerous weapon, two counts of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, and carrying a pistol without a license outside a home or business. The counts stem from his alleged involvement in the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Vonte Martin on the 3000 block of Stanton Road, SE, on Aug. 19, 2024.
The offer would require Jennings to plead guilty to voluntary manslaughter while armed. In exchange, the prosecution would dismiss his remaining charges in this case and an unrelated felony possession offense.
The prosecution and defense attorney Nathaniel Mensah addressed the terms in a written plea offer. Mensah said the offer included “additional language” regarding sentencing enhancements that was not previously discussed.
The prosecutor expressed frustration with the delay and said the plea offer has been open for several months. He did not see how the discussion of “reserving step back and reserving allocution” would confuse the terms of the plea offer.
The prosecution suggested a brief “pass” to allow Jennings to talk with his lawyer and return later that afternoon.
Mensah rejected the afternoon return, stating that he was not asking for a 15-minute break but for a separate date to ensure Jennings understood the offer. The prosecution eventually agreed to wait to resolve the plea.
Judge Park allowed Jennings to confer briefly with Mensah and noted that the law requires a clear record that a defendant has time to consider any offer.
“He’s not prepared to make that decision at this time,” said Mensah because he hadn’t seen “additional language” regarding sentencing enhancements.
Parties are scheduled to reconvene on June 5.