Judge Holds Sex Abuse Defendant and Three Domestic Abuse Defendants During Initial Hearings

During initial hearings on June 9, DC Superior Court Judge Shelly Mulkey held a sex abuse defendant and three out of the five domestic violence defendants presented before her.

In total, there were 22 defendants presented before the court.

One of the domestic violence defendants is charged with two new cases. In his first, he is charged with simple assault, destruction of property and attempted threats to do bodily harm. In his second case, he is charged with simple assault and destruction of property.

The defendant recently pleaded guilty to simple assault in another domestic violence case involving the same woman. Judge Mulkey said she found that he poses a danger to the community and is likely to violate a condition of release, so she decided to hold him pending his next hearing, scheduled for June 22.

Judge Mulkey held Kenneth Coleman, who was brought in on two bench warrants for failing to appear at his probation hearings. Coleman allegedly has been out of compliance with his probation requirements, failing to report to his probation officer (PO), not reporting for drug testing and failing to get a GPS monitoring device installed. Because of these alleged compliance issues, the judge ordered him to be held so he can see the presiding judge on June 16.

The final domestic violence defendant held is charged with simple assault and destruction of property. Judge Mulkey released him on his new charges, but the defendant had a parole warrant, so he is being held to speak with the parole board.

There was one sex abuse defendant presented. The defendant is charged with sex abuse and assault on  a police officer. He was also brought before the court for failing to appear at his probation hearing. In that case, he was convicted of sex abuse and simple assault.

Judge Mulkey held the defendant at defense counsel’s request and ordered a forensic exam. He will most likely be transferred to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital.

A woman charged with destruction of property and attempted threats was released with orders to stay away from the complaining witness and location of the incident in her case. She was also ordered to return to court on June 24.

A man charged with attempted threats, destruction of property and assault on a police officer was also released with a stay away order. His next court date is Sept. 28.

Finally, one final defendant could not be presented because they were still in the hospital. Their case was once again continued and will be called again on June 10.