Jury Convicts Co-Defendants On One Charge Then Acquits on Others

Thank you for reading D.C. Witness. Help us continue our mission into 2024.

Donate Now

On Nov. 6, a jury found co-defendants in an April 2020 shooting and robbery case guilty on one count and acquitted them of all other charges. 

Anthony Owens and George Belk, both 44, were convicted of assault with intent to commit any other offense while armed but were acquitted on two counts of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence and assault with intent to commit robbery while armed. The charges were in relation to their involvement in a shooting and robbery incident that occurred on the 1300 block of Good Hope Road, SE, on April 15, 2020. The incident left Owens and Belk with minor injuries. 

Throughout the week-long trial, jurors heard from members of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) and the victim, who gave insight into what happened on the day of the incident. 

At a hearing on Nov. 2, a detective from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD)testified a surveillance camera at the intersection of 14th Street and T Street, SE, shows the robbery victim getting out of his car and walking across the street towards a restaurant on Good Hope Road while Owens’ van pulls away and moves toward T Street.

According to court documents, Owens and Belk walked back toward the restaurant while the victim was still inside the establishment. When the victim returned to his vehicle, Owens and Belk approached him on the sidewalk.

The detective identified Owens and Belk in surveillance footage running behind the victim as he is opening the front door of his car apparently attempting to rob him. According to the detective, no weapon was found on the victim.

Later in the footage, an individual identified as “Mr. B” walked to the right of the victim’s vehicle and fired shots at Belk and Owens, hitting them both before fleeing into an alleyway.

“Mr. B” and the victim know each other, according to court documents. 

Defense attorneys for Owens and Belk, Bruce Cooper and Everald Thompson, argued that the prosecutors had failed to prove their client’s involvement “beyond a reasonable doubt,” and requested the jury find them not guilty. 

Following the jury’s verdict, DC Superior Court Judge Michael Ryan sentenced Owens and Belk to time served for their conviction and alerted them that they had 30 days to appeal.

Owens and Belk were released and ordered to pay $50 each to the Victims of Violent Crime Fund. 

No further dates were scheduled.  

Notifications are not yet available for this specific case. Please check back later for updates. Thank you.