Man Sentenced for Shooting 21 Year Old in the Back

A DC Superior Court judge sentenced a defendant for shooting a 21-year-old man multiple times in the back in 2018.

Co-defendants Kewon Hunter and Stephon Evans were charged with first-degree murder while armed in connection with the death of 21-year-old Dion DeMarco Boyd. On July 30, 2018, Boyd was found unconscious in a roadway in front of the 1400 block of Maryland Avenue, NE, suffering from multiple gunshot wounds in his torso. He died from his injuries within the hour, according to court documents.

Hunter, 22, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter while armed in February.

Boyd’s mother made a victim impact statement during Hunter’s sentencing hearing on April 26. His grandmother submitted a written victim impact statement, which was read by a prosecutor during the proceedings.

In the letter, Boyd’s grandmother stated that she “forgives [Hunter] and hopes he forgives himself.”

The victim’s mother attended the hearing via telephone and expressed her disagreement with the defendant being allowed to plead down to the lesser charge of voluntary manslaughter. She said she only “wants justice for her son.”

As part of the plea deal, parties agreed to recommend a prison sentence of 10-12 years followed by five years of supervised release. Before Judge Robert Okun made his decision, he recommended that Hunter participate in an anger management and substance abuse assistance program and obtain employment after his release.

Defense attorney Betty Ballester asked Judge Okun to sentence her client under the Youth Rehabilitation Act, which would allow his case to be sealed from public view if he completes certain requirements. Hunter was 17 years old at the time of the homicide, and Ballester argued that a person with the brain of a child cannot think things through. Judge Okun acknowledged that Hunter met the requirements of the YRA, but declined to impose it as part of the sentence.

Hunter was sentenced to 12 years in prison with 5 years supervised release. He will be required to register as a gun offender.

Evans, 21, pleaded guilty to carrying a pistol without a license. He is scheduled to be sentenced in July.