Month in Review: September

Thank you for reading D.C. Witness. Help us continue our mission into 2024.

Donate Now

September 2017 saw the number of homicides in DC reduced by half from the year before – from 20 in 2016 to 10 this year. There have been arrests in four of the September 2017 cases.

Here is our monthly wrap-up of cases covered in September.


Of the ten homicides , eight were the result of r shootings, and two were stabbings.
Three of the murders in Southeast , three in Northeast, two in Northwest, and two in Southwest.

Police found Unique Davis, 19, dead from gunshot wounds on the evening of Sept. 2, on the 1500 block of Tubman Rd., SE. No arrests have been made.

A little over a week later, Antwaun Smith, 41, died from gunshot wounds on the 600 block of Newtown Pl., NW on Sept. 10. Antonio Williams, 36, has been charged with second-degree murder while armed for allegedly murdering Smith.

The next day David Thomas Neal, 31, was found suffering from stab wounds at 9:30 p.m. on the 3900 block of Martin Luther King. Jr. Ave., SW. Neal died of his injuries hospital. Martell Antonio Hall, 28, has been charged with second-degree murder while armed in the fatal stabbing of Neal.

On Sept. 14 Danielle Williams, 29, was found suffering from gunshot wounds. Two men were also wounded in the shooting. Williams and the two victims were transported to the hospital, where williams died from her injuries the following day. No suspects have been identified.
On Sept. 17, MyAngelo Starnes, 16, was found suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. The teenager was transported to the hospital, where he died from his injuries. Police have yet to identify any suspects.
A few days later, another student was shot and killed. Zaire Kelly, 16, was found unresponsive with a gunshot wound on the 2200 block of 13 St. NE. Kelly had been walking home from a convenience store when he was approached by the Sequan Gillis, 19. Gillis allegedly attempted to rob Kelly, who defended himself with a knife before he was shot. Gillis was found dead at the seen. Police found Gillis, the alleged attacker, down the alley. He was transported to the hospital, where he died.

Another teen was murdered later in the week. Robert Lee Arthur Jr., 18, was found by police suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. Arthur was found on the 2800 block of 14th St., NE. and taken to the hospital where he later died from his injuries. Police are still investigating the killing.

The next day Andrew Alphonzo Cook, III., 46, was found suffering from a stab wound. Cook was found on the 1700 block of North Capitol St., NE. and transported to a local hospital, where he later died from his injuries. Police continue to investigate the murder.

On the morning of Wednesday, Sept. 27, MPD officers found Paula Renee Coles, 31, lying inside of the entrance to her apartment building, o the 3000 block of 30th St., SE., suffering from stab wounds. Her 11-month-old baby was found in the hallway, with a cut to the hand. The mother had suffered multiple stab wounds to her face and upper body.

Larry Fearn, 35, has been charged second-degree murder and is being held without bail. Before her death, Coles had repeatedly called 911 regarding domestic disputes involving Fearn, including the night before her murder. murder. Fearn had been arrested for assaulting Coles, their infant child, and Fearn’s mother in July. and had been arrested the next day for violating a court order to stay away from Coles.

On the final day of September, police found Marcus Anthony Shepherd, 22, dead inside of a car on the 100 block of Atlantic St, SW. He died from an apparent dead from a gunshot wound. Police are investigating.

Follow this case