Murder Defendant Pleads Not Guilty to Southwest Shooting


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After the formal reading of a grand jury indicment, a defendant pleaded not guilty in connection to a 2018 double homicide.

Alonzo Lewis, 33, is charged with first-degree murder while armed, assault with intent to kill while armed against a minor and two gun-related charges for his alleged role in the deaths of 40-year-old Jaquon Helm and 35-year-old Venius Badgett on the 50th block of Galveston Street, SW.

Following the pleading, Lewis’ defense attorney, John Fowler, requested that the prosecution hand over a list of all evidence that could be tested for DNA. Fowler also asked for a list of all witnesses in the case and their contact information.

A prosecutor said she would not provide witness information, but the rest of the evidence would be given to the defense in two weeks.

According to court documents, an 11-year-old witness said that Lewis’ romantic partner got into a physical altercation with Badgett before Helm pulled Badgett away. Another witness said Lewis shot both Badgett and Helm following the incident. 

D.C. Witness previously reported that Helm and Badgett were married for six years and had five children, who were not harmed in the shooting.

A status hearing is scheduled on April 11.