Victim’s Wife Testifies About the Day the Father of Her Children was Killed

The prosecution called their last three witnesses in a murder trial, including the victim’s wife to convince the jury the defendant was guilty before resting their case.

Kaevon Sutton, 21, is charged with first-degree murder while armed, possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, and carrying a pistol without a license outside a  home or place of business in connection to the shooting of Aujee Tyler, 22. The shooting occurred on March 19, 2018, on the 3500 block of Stanton Road, SE. 

On March 15, Tyler’s wife stated that Sutton spent most of his time with Tyler. The witness said a few days before the shooting she was in the car with Tyler when he had a conversation with the defendant. She stated that Tyler asked Sutton and his other friend to give him a tire  pumper because the pumper on his car was broken. 

According to the witness’s testimony, the car Sutton and his friend had was stolen and it was the same model and color as her and Tyler’s car. 

The witness also said Sutton refused to give Tyler the pumper and as a result, the victim  got mad and threatened Sutton with calling the police.  

According to the witness, Sutton said, “ it does not matter, that’s my shit”. 

During her testimony, the witness stated that the day after the argument she saw Sutton hanging out with Tyler in the car while she was with her husband on FaceTime. She also said that she did not see them argue about the pumper again. 

When the witness was asked about how she found out about her husband, her testimony in front of the Grand Jury was different from her testimony during her interview with the detective a few days after the shooting. 

The witness said she lied back then to save Tyler’s friends who moved him to the hospital because they were scared of getting in trouble for messing with the crime scene. 

Defense attorney Jessica Wills questioned the witness about her different testimonies multiple times. Out of frustration, the witness started to talk when there was no question. 

DC Superior Court Judge Michael Ryan had to tell her that she needs to stay quiet until there is a question asked. 

The trial is scheduled to resume on March 16.

Follow this case