Homicide Defendant No Longer on High Intensity Supervision

Thank you for reading D.C. Witness. Help us continue our mission into 2024.

Donate Now

DC Superior Court Judge Rainey Brandt accepted a request for Ronald Wallace, 49, who is charged with first-degree murder, to be released from the High Intensity Supervision Program (HISP). However, Wallace’s co-defendant Deangelo Glover, 31, remains detained. 

Wallace and Glover are both charged with first-degree murder while armed in relation to an incident that occurred on Jan. 19, 2021, on the 3800 block of Hayes Street, NE. The surviving victim of the incident suffered a single gunshot wound to his upper right leg, according to court documents. However, 32 year-old Tyrone Wright, who suffered a total of 17 gunshot wounds to his head, body, and legs, was pronounced dead on the scene.

On Jan. 19, Glover was indicted on six counts, including premeditated first-degree murder while armed, possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, assault with intent to kill while armed, unlawful possession of a firearm, and carrying a pistol outside a home/business. 

The prosecution is still continuing their investigation into Wallace, who has not yet been indicted.

During a hearing on Jan. 20, the prosecution expressed their desire to set a trial for both co-defendants. Wallace’s defense attorney, Michael Bruckheim, stated his opposition to setting a trial date for his client due to the lack of an indictment. 

When reminded that Wallace and Glover are currently co-defendants, and therefore must be treated as such, Bruckheim stated, “well, they shouldn’t be.”

Bruckheim said he has a pending motion to sever Wallace’s case from Glover, but an indictment is needed before any action could be taken.

The connection of the cases and the lag in Wallace’s indictment have caused an unnecessary delay for Glover’s case, according to his defense attorney David Knight

Knight sat next to Glover throughout the hearing. Bruckheim, however, stood next to Wallace, who wore an orange hoodie and sweatpants that bore a striking resemblance to his co-defendant’s jumpsuit. 

Wallace remained silently standing next to his attorney as Bruckheim addressed the court regarding his defendant’s release status and conditions. He said Wallace has “basically been perfect” since being released under HISP in April of 2022, requesting to lessen Wallace’s release conditions.

While the prosecution rebutted that it would not be appropriate to loosen Wallace’s restrictions due to his pending charges, Judge Brandt sided with the defense and instructed Wallace to remove his ankle monitor following the hearing. 

As the hearing concluded with no foreseeable trial date, Judge Brandt encouraged the prosecution and defense to talk with each other to determine a viable date. 

A felony status conference is set for March 3.

Follow this case