
Thank you for reading D.C. Witness.
Consider making a donation to help us continue our mission.
By
Brigette Bagley
- March 31, 2025
Court
|
Daily Stories
|
Homicides
|
DC Superior Court Judge Rainey Brandt ordered a co-defendant in a homicide to comply with a stay–away order outlined in his monitored release program or face the consequences in a hearing on March 27.
Roy Jordan, 22, is charged with first-degree premeditated murder while armed, possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, two counts of possession of a firearm by a convict, and possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device, for his alleged involvement in the fatal shooting of 29-year-old Gary Lavon Love III on the 4600 block of South Capitol Street, SW, on Nov. 20, 2023.
Donell Thomas, 33, is charged with accessory after the fact for assault with intent to kill while armed for his alleged involvement in helping Jordan avoid prosecution.
A representative from the DC Pretrial Service Agency (PSA) informed Judge Brandt that Thomas had been non-compliant with his stay away zone, which could limit his access to GPS monitoring.
Thomas’s defense attorney, Jesse Winograd, said he wanted to “clear the air” that his client hasn’t returned to the crime scene, and instead, every time he visits his children, who live in the zone, the monitor alerts PSA. Winograd also said that this is something Thomas has discussed with his assigned case manager, but that he never received clear orders on how to proceed.
Judge Brandt said she would officially give Thomas precise notice to stay away from the zone completely, or “I’ll lock you up.”
She suggested that Thomas’s family go see him, not the other way around.
The defendants moved on to officially waive their right to the Innocence Protection Act (IPA) which ensures preservation of evidence and grants defendants the right to test DNA evidence to support claims of innocence. A full waiver means the defendants have agreed to forgo independent evidence testing in preparation for their April 2026 trial.
The prosecutor explained to the court that the pieces of evidence the defendants are choosing not to test, but the prosecution will, is a firearm, allegedly used in the incident, shell casings, and articles of clothing.
Parties are slated to reconvene on Sept. 11.