Judge Sentences Defendants for Murder of 25-Year-Old

Thank you for reading D.C. Witness. Help us continue our mission into 2024.

Donate Now

On Jan. 27, two defendants were sentenced for the murder of a 25-year-old man. 

Keshawn Taylor and Rashaad Winston opened fire against Tyree Brox on the 5100 block of Bass Place, SE on December 21, 2020. 

On Friday, Taylor was sentenced to 12 years in prison for voluntary manslaughter while armed with five years of supervised release. He must also register as a gun offender for two years. In addition to his sentence, Taylor is also required to pay $100 to the victims of violent crime act, enroll in a drug treatment program and get therapeutic counseling. 

Winston was sentenced to 72 months in prison with five years of supervised release for aggravated assault with being a grave risk while armed. He must also pay $100 to the victims of violent crime act fund and register as a gun offender along with therapeutic counseling, seeking out a male role model and job training.  

Both defendants were initially charged with felony murder while armed – aggravating circumstances and second-degree murder while armed. 

Taylor, 24, was also charged with possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, attempt to commit robbery while armed, and carrying a pistol without a license outside a home or business.  Taylor wasn’t sentenced under the Youth Act. 

Winston, 26, was charged with robbery while armed. He was sentenced under the Youth Act.

Both defendants are currently facing gun possession charges in Maryland for an unrelated case.

Elizabeth Weller, Taylor’s defense attorney, said he has developmental problems, including emotional and maturity challenges, and is not the best at expressing himself. 

She said the defendant wasn’t treated fairly since, after being freed, he immediately resumed his previous practices, including couch surfing, which led to his residing with Winston.

“I’m amazed that you are still here,” DC Superior Court Judge Rainey Brandt told Winston, 26, referring to the losses and experiences he had in his life.  

In a letter to the judge, Brox’s family said he was a devoted brother, father, artist, and community leader. The victim’s family said Brox was attempting to make his community once again what it was when he was a child by reintroducing block parties, barbecues, poetry nights, and back-to-school drives for the kids in town.

 “My life is over since my son died,” Brox’s mother wrote in a letter the prosecutor read in court.  

Follow this case