Search Icon Search site

Search

Judge Dismisses Murder Case

During what would have been the first day of a murder trial, a DC Superior Court judge ruled to dismiss the case without prejudice due to the prosecution’s failure to hand over evidence. 

Keith Archie, 39, is charged with second-degree murder while armed and tampering with evidence for allegedly stabbing Demond Marcel Rush on the 3600 block of 22nd Street, SE in 2017. 

More than 1,000 pages of documents of evidence in the case were made available to the prosecution two weeks ago, but counsel failed to turn the documents over to the defense until the night before trial. It is not clear what the documents contained.

“I don’t know about you, but it takes me a long time to read 1,000 pages,” said Jason Tulley, one of Archie’s two defense attorneys.

DC Superior Court Judge Neal Kravitz said that the defense would not have enough time to read over the new evidence. 

One of the three prosecutors asked Judge Kravitz to issue an instruction to the jury because the prosecution thought a dismissal was too extreme. 

“Dismissal strikes me as quite extreme… but I’m at a loss,” Judge Kravitz said. “I don’t know how this trial could go forward right now.”

Judge Kravitz ruled to dismiss the case without prejudice.

The prosecutor said she plans to have a grand jury indict the case, again. “We will all be back here in a week or two,” she said. 

This article was written by MiriYam Judd and Wyatt Mullins


This article was written by MiriYam Judd and Wyatt Mullins

Defense Objects to Use of Cellphone Data in Murder Case

During a trial readiness hearing on Feb. 7, a defense attorney told a judge that he disagreed with the prosecution using electronic data from a cellphone as evidence in a murder case. 

Robert Wilson Dean Jr, 61, is charged with first-degree murder while armed with a screwdriver for allegdely stabbing Tamiya White, 38, on March 31, 2018, on the 1000 block of Mount Olivet Road., NE. White and Dean were in a relationship at the time, according to court documents.

Dean’s defense attorney, Anthony Matthews, objected to the use of the cellphone’s electronic data. He said the cellphone only needed to be tested for DNA to connect Dean to White. All the electronic data collected should be suppressed. 

Matthews also added that the prosecution had not given the defense all the evidence in order to be tested by an independent lab. 

The prosecution told DC Superior Court Judge Ronna Lee Beck that all the evidence had been tested for DNA. Among the tested evidence was a cellphone which allegedly belonged to Dean. 

The prosecutor said she did not intend to use the DNA evidence. Instead the prosecutor wanted to use the cellphone’s electronic data as evidence.

Judge Beck told the prosecution that the defense’s request to suppress the electronic data needed to be addressed, and that counsel had to discuss the matter. She also told the prosecutor to submit all the evidence to her and the defense, including the electronic data.

Judge Beck told the defense to decide if they wanted to do independent DNA testing on the evidence. 

The judge also asked counsel to finalize their evidence and witnesses, saying that the defense needed to explain who their expert witness was and why they were giving their opinion.

Dean is scheduled for a trial readiness hearing on Feb. 10. 

This article was written by Lea Gianasso. 

Prosecutor Reveals Who Will Testify at Trial

A prosecutor told a judge that he plans to call on specific witnesses to testify in a murder trial.

During a trial readiness hearing on Feb. 7, the prosecution told a judge about the witnesses he planned on calling.

Nyekemia Everett and Malik Hewitt are charged with first-degree murder while armed, conspiracy, attempt to commit robbery while armed and possession of a firearm during a crime of violence for their alleged roles in the murder of 37-year-old Christopher Heard on the 2300 block of Ainger Place, SE.

During the hearing, the prosecutor informed DC Superior Court Judge Anita Josey-Herring that he planned to call a DNA expert, a fingerprint expert, a firearm expert, a cell site expert and a forensic expert, among others. 

The prosecutor said he is not seeking to qualify all of the witnesses as experts. The prosecutor filed an expert witness disclosure on Feb. 5.

Hewitt’s attorneys, Nikki Lotzke and Justin Okesie, told Judge Josey-Herring about motions they filed last year. The motions include a motion regarding admissibility of jail calls made by Hewitt, which was filed on Feb. 21, 2019, and a motion regarding the admissibility of Hewitt’s statements, which was filed on Feb. 22, 2019.

An unopposed motion for protective order was granted by Judge Josey-Herring. The case was transferred from DC Superior Court Judge Danya Dayson on Dec. 31, 2019. 

A jury trial is scheduled to begin on Feb. 24.

Document: Homicide of an Infant in Brentwood

The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating a homicide that occurred on the 1600 block of New York Avenue, NE.

According to a press release, officers were notified that 11-month-old Makenzie Anderson was being transported to a local hospital to be treated for life threatening injuries. She later succumbed to her injuries at the hospital.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner performed a autopsy where the cause of death was determined to be blunt force trauma to the head inflicted by another and the manner of death was ruled a homicide.

The department is currently offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in this case or any other homicide case in DC. Anyone with information is asked to call the police at 202-727-9099. Anonymous information may be submitted to the department’s Text Tip Line — 50411.

[documentcloud url=”http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6773214-2-10-20-Homicide-1600-Block-of-New-York-Avenue.html” responsive=true]

Defense Requests Name of Witness

To better prepare arguments for a murder defendant’s defense, a defense attorney requested the name of a witness.

Alonzo Lewis is charged with first-degree murder for allegedly shooting 40-year-old Jaquon Helm and 35-year-old Venius Badgett on the Unit block of Galveston Street, SW in May of 2018. Lewis, 33, is also charged with possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, assault with intent to kill while armed against a minor and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Despite transcripts of what the witness said to police, defense attorney John Fowler requested the name of a specific witness to learn more about what the witness saw or heard.

Fowler told DC Superior Court Judge Anita Josey-Herring that he would agree to a protective order if necessary. However, Judge Josey-Herring said that she could not decide whether or not there needed to be a protective order without listening to the audio file.

The prosecution said that Fowler didn’t need the name of the witness because he had already received the names of seven other witnesses in the case

A status hearing is scheduled to occur on March 27.

Judge Removes Separation Order Between Murder Defendants

A judge ordered Feb. 10 that two murder defendants would no longer have to be separated while in jail.

Jolonta Little, 26, and Monte Johnson, 21, are charged with felony murder while armed in a bias-related crime, conspiracy in a bias-related crime, robbery while armed in a bias-related crime, possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, assault with a dangerous weapon in a bias related crime, assault with intent to commit robbery while armed and carrying a pistol without a license outside a home or business for allegedly shooting 22-year-old Deeniquia Dodds, a transgender woman, on the 200 block of Division Avenue, NE in 2016.

Defense attorney, Brandi Harden, requested for a separation order between Little and Johnson to be removed. The separation order was filed on Feb. 4, 2019.

Johnson’s attorney, Kevin Irving, along with Harden, asked for Little and Johnson to be released to a halfway house or be allowed visitors while incarcerated.

DC Superior Court Judge Danya Dayson granted the request to lift the separation order. The caseload was transferred from DC Superior Court Judge Milton Lee on Dec. 31, 2019. 

Judge Dayson also denied sending Little and Johnson’s to a halfway house or allowing him to have visitors while in DC Jail.

The prosecution is expecting the trial to last for at least three weeks. Judge Dayson set a new trial date for Jan. 11, 2021.

A status hearing is scheduled to occur on June 22.

Document: Traffic Fatality on Southern Avenue, SE

On Feb. 8, a pedestrian was killed in a traffic accident on the 1400 block of Southern Avenue, SE.

According to a MPD press release, a Chevrolet Malibu was traveling south in the 1400 block of Southern Avenue, Southeast, when it evasively maneuvered to the right and collided with a Metro Bus to avoid striking a pedestrian.

The Metro Bus then struck the pedestrian, causing the pedestrian to be trapped under the bus.

DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded to the scene and extricated the pedestrian. After all life-saving efforts failed, the victim was pronounced dead on scene.

The victim was identified as 38 year-old Rickey Carey, of no fixed address.

This case remains under investigation.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is requested to contact the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099.

[documentcloud url=”http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6772835-2-8-20-Updated-Decedent-Information-Traffic.html” responsive=true]

Document: Arrest Made in 2019 Benning Heights Homicide

On Jan. 8, officers from the Metropolitan Police Department arrested a 21-year-old man in connection to a homicide that occurred in the Benning area of Washington, DC.

According to a press release, Kemonte Marting a resident of Northeast, DC was charged, with first-degree murder while armed for allegedly shooting 17-year-old Eric Mercer on  the 4700 block of Benning Road, SE on Nov. 26, 2019.

Mercer, who was a resident of Northwest, DC died at a local hospital.

This case remains under investigation.

The Metropolitan Police Department currently offers a reward of up to $25,000 to anyone that provides information which leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for any homicide committed in the District of Columbia. Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the police at 202-727-9099. Additionally, anonymous information may be submitted to the department’s TEXT TIP LINE by sending a text message to 50411.

[documentcloud url=”http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6772796-2-9-20-Arrest-Made-in-a-Homicide-4700-Block-of.html” responsive=true]

Judge Orders New Status Hearing

On Feb. 7, A DC Superior Court judge scheduled a new hearing date for a case that involves a fatal shooting.

Brandon Wiggins, 22, is charged with first-degree murder while armed for alledgedly shooting Damon Bell, 43, and Donald Lewis, 25, both residents of Northeast, DC, on the 1600 block of West Virginia Avenue, NE on June 14 2019, and the 1700 block of West Virginia Avenue, NE on Dec. 18, 2018, respectively. 

DC Superior Court Judge Todd Edelman scheduled a status hearing on Feb. 28. 

According to court documents, Bell was found unconscious with multiple gunshot wounds in a vehicle, and Lewis was found unconscious and with multiple gunshot wounds inside a residence at the listed location. 

Wiggins is being held without bond.

This article was written by Noa Donvan

Case Acquitted: DNA Testing Now Complete, Prosecution Says

This case has been acquitted.

During a status hearing Feb.7, the prosecution told a judge that a retest of DNA evidence was completed and the results were shared with the defense. 

Cedric Selinus Alexander, also known as Tony White, 47, is charged with first-degree murder while armed, robbery while armed with a firearm, and unlawful possession of a firearm during a crime of violence for allegely shooting Daquan Hooks, 38, on March 23, 2017, on 1900 block of 13th Street, SE. 

The prosecutor said that due to some previous DNA issues, a retest of the evidence was necessary. During the retest of evidence, no new DNA was found. 

The prosecutor also said that not everything was tested in either round, and that if the defense wanted to test the same evidence or less, then the defense might as well test all of the evidence.

Alexander’s defense attorney, Jacqueline Cadman, told DC Superior Court Judge Ronna Lee Beck that the defense’s independent testing would be completed by the end of the month. 

Cadman also told Judge Beck that the defense wanted to discuss release conditions with the prosecution. She said she wanted to finalize release conditions within the next two weeks. 

Judge Beck told counsel that release conditions would be discussed at the next status hearing, along with the results of the defense’s independent DNA testing. 

Alexander is scheduled for a status hearing on Feb. 28. 

This article was written by Lea Gianasso.

Murder Defendant Pleads Not Guilty

During a felony arraignment Feb 7, a murder defendant pleaded not guilty.

Barbara Sanders is charged with second-degree murder while armed with a knife for allegedly stabbing 59-year-old Thurman Knight on the 500 block of Montana Avenue, NE in March. According to court documents, Sanders, 53, and Knight resided together and were in a romantic relationship for nearly eight years.

After the clerk read Sanders her constitutional rights, her defense attorney Matthew Davies, pleaded not guilty on the defendant’s behalf. He continued with asserting her right to counsel and request for a speedy trial.

The prosecutor said she sent the defense a discovery letter with numerous pieces of evidence found on officers’ body worn cameras in relation to the incident. 

She said she also sent a consent motion along with an attached order in regards to the grand jury. 

Lastly, the prosecutor said DNA testing was completed, and she shared the results with the defense.

The prosecution has not extended any plea deals as of Feb. 7. 

A status hearing has been set for March 6.

This article was written by Naysha Carrasquillo.


Judge Sentences Murder Defendant to 11 Years in Prison

A murder defendant is sentenced to 11-years in prison for shooting a 19-year-old from a car.

Keith Jenkins, 20, is sentenced to prison for voluntary manslaughter while armed, for shooting Alvin Barnes, 19, on the 2200 block of Alabama Avenue, SE on Oct. 23, 2019. The two had gotten in a physical dispute, whereby Jenkins drove away and then and shot Barnes in the back of the head from a car.

DC Superior Court Judge Todd Edelman said he considered sentencing Jenkins under the Youth Rehabilitation Act, which is a sentencing alternative for offenders who are convicted under the age of 22. 

Jenkins turned himself in to the police with great speed, pleaded guilty, and has been greatly cooperative thus far, Judge Edelman said in reference to his consideration.

However, Judge Edelman said he decided against sentencing Jenkins under the act because of the nature of the crime and his other charges. 

Even though Jenkins had no prior criminal history, he is currently released on bond in Prince George’s County, Md. for an alleged robbery. 

In addition to his prison term, Jenkins will serve five years on supervised release. He will also need to register as a gun offender after he is released from prison.  

“Nobody wins here,” the prosecutor said. “There’s a dead young man and a man who is going to be incarcerated for a lot of his life.”

Testimony of Responding Officer Will Not be Taken into Account, Judge Says

A judge decided Feb. 6 to reject testimony from an officer, citing two prior incidents in which the officer did not tell the truth.  

Keith Archie, 39, is charged with second-degree murder while armed for allegedly stabbing Demond Marcel Rush on the 3600 block of 22nd Street, SE in 2017. 

On Feb. 6, DC Superior Court Judge Neal Kravitz said that testimony from a responding Metropolitan Police Department officer would not be allowed in trial because the officer lied to fellow officers while on patrol in two separate incidents. The incidents were not connected to the homicide. 

In one incident, the officer was outside of his designated patrol area when his cruiser got  stuck in a muddy field in Maryland. The told fellow officers that he pulled off the road and into the field to make an urgent family call. 

However, the officer later said he and a fellow officer were just “hanging out” and being “disobedient.” 

The trial is slated to begin on Feb. 10. It is expected to last for about two weeks. 

Written by Wyatt Mullins and MiriYam Judd 

Victim’s Mother On Speaker Phone While Killer Pleads Guilty

During a status hearing on Feb. 6, a victim’s mother was placed on speaker phone while the murder defendant, who killed her son, pleaded guilty.

MacArthur Venable is charged with second-degree murder while armed for his alleged role in the death of 34-year-old James Eric Ferrell on the unit block of Massachusetts Avenue, NE on Oct. 31, 2018.

Before Venable entered a guilty plea, the prosecutor asked DC Superior Court Judge Anita Josey-Herring to call the victim’s mother and place her on speaker phone so that she could listen to the defendant plead guilty since she was unable to make it to court.

The judge agreed, and the mother was able to listen to Venable accept the prosecution’s plea deal for second-degree murder while armed.

Counsel agreed that Venable would be subject to serve 15 to 18 years in prison. Then five years of supervised release afterward. Judge Josey-Herring accepted Venable’s plea.

Venable is currently in a mental health program called Step-Down. His attorney requested him to be sentenced after he completes his program.

Venable’s sentencing is scheduled to occur on July 20.

Judge Finds Probable Cause in Northeast, DC Homicide Case

Even though the defense questioned the creditability of a Metropolitan Police Department detective, a judge still found probable cause in a murder case.

Paul William Daniel is charged with second-degree murder while armed for allegedly shooting 59-year-old Kevin Jerome Harrison on the 4100 block of Hayes Street, NE on Jan. 26, 2019. 

DC Superior Court Judge Todd Edelman found that because of testimony from a new witness and a possible motive, the burden has been met for probable cause.

During a preliminary hearing on Feb 6, Daniel’s defense attorney, John Fowler, said the detective didn’t adequately investigate the case, noting that she didn’t question witnesses in person, ask detailed questions and that she failed to verify stories that she heard from witnesses throughout her investigation. 

Fowler also said the forensic investigation on Daniel’s house and his car came up completely clean, with no evidence of blood, guns, drugs, or any other contraband.

 “I would call her a liar,” Fowler said, referencing a lack of forensic evidence. 

In addition, Fowler told the judge that the detective, in a previous case that is not related to the homicide, arrested and held the wrong man for 13 days.

 However, the prosecutor argued that the case in which the detective arrested the wrong person was not relevant.

Daniel is being held without bond.

Two felony status conferences are scheduled to occur on Feb. 13 in Judge Edelman’s courtroom and on April 3 in DC Superior Court Judge Anita Josey-Herring‘s courtroom.

According to DC Courts, Edelman is supposed to hear about motions and a request from counsel regarding evidence.