Search Icon Search site

Search

Police Release Video of Suspect of Interest in Hit and Run

The police are asking for the public’s assistance in locating a suspect and a vehicle involved in a hit and run on Nov. 29.

According to a press release, A dark colored SUV struck 50 year-old Nahzil Rahim and fled the scene, which was located on the 1200 block of U Street, NW. The incident occurred at 3:10 a.m.

The victim was taken to an area hospital and pronounced dead.

A reward of up to $1,000 is being offered for information that leads to an arrest and indictment of the person or persons responsible for a crime committed in the District of Columbia. Anyone with information about this incident should call police at (202) 727-9099 or send a tip to the Department’s Text Tip Line —  50411.

The police advise that anyone with information about the incident take no other action then contacting the authorities.

The vehicle and a person of interest can bee seen in the video, below.

Counsel Delivers Closing Arguments in Murder Trial

The prosecution began their opening arguments by showing the jury, once again, an image of a victim laying dead on the floor. 

Sean Baker, 40, is charged with second-degree murder while armed for allegedly stabbing 35-year-old Robert Wiggins on the 300 block of 37th Street, SE on Jan. 31. Baker was initially charged with assault with the intent to kill. Baker is a transgender woman.

Along with the photo, the prosecutor also showed the jury a text message from Baker. “We’re not through because I said we’re not through don’t you know I’ll fight for mine,” Baker said in the text. 

The prosecutor also recounted Baker’s friend’s testimony. The friend told the jury that Baker said, “I’m going to kill him” after she caught Wiggins cheating.

This shows the extreme lengths Baker would go to address Wiggin’s behavior, the prosecutor said. She also said Baker premeditated and planned to kill Wiggins because Baker was obsessive and jealous.

The prosecutor said Baker killed Wiggins because she was tired of Wiggins cheating. The prosecutor told the jury that Baker should be found guilty of first-degree murder.

However, Baker’s defense attorney, Dominique Winters, told a different version of the story. She said Baker was acting to defend herself and the police failed to investigate the victim’s violence and aggression.

“You can’t trust anything the government is saying in this case,” said Winters.

Winters said Baker did not intend to kill Wiggins and that the one stab wound Wiggins sustained was evidence of that. 

“For the prosecution to suggest otherwise is as far-fetched as it is ridiculous,” said Winters.

Winters showed the jury a photo of Baker after she had been beaten up. Apparently, Wiggins sent the photo to a lot of people on Christmas day in 2015.

During his rebuttal, the prosecutor called Winters’ closing argument a reality TV show. 

“If there is no accident, if there is no self-defense, the last thing left is murder,” said the prosecutor.

The jury is scheduled to start deliberations on Dec. 4.

Murder Defendant Changes Counsel

A murder defendant’s defense counsel informed a judge that he was withdrawing from the case.

Terrance Prue is charged with first-degree murder while armed for allegedly shooting 39-year-old Bruce Gilmore on the 3500 block of 22nd Street, SE on June 5. Prue was presented in DC Courts on Nov. 25.

During a proceeding that was supposed to the Prue’s preliminary hearing, the defendant’s previous defense counselor, James King, told DC Superior Court Judge Danya Dayson that he was withdrawing as Prue’s legal counsel.

Defense counselor Brandi Harden said she was available to represent Prue, but requested some time to meet with him and speak about the case.

According to court documents, Prue was an associate of the victim’s ex-girlfriend’s son. Apparently, the victim and the ex-girlfriend’s son were in a confrontation over stolen money and drugs.

Police recovered .45 caliber ammunition from Prue’s residence, which was the same caliber of the casing found at the crime scene, according to the documents.

Prue’s preliminary hearing was continued to Dec. 12.

Murder Defendant Shows Combative Behavior, Again

During a felony status confrence on Dec 3, a murder defendant’s combative behavior kept him from entering the courtroom. 

Michael “Miesha” Hines is charged with second-degree murder while armed with a firearm for allegedly shooting Wendell Youngblood, 46, on the 1500 block of North Capitol Street, NE on Aug. 3. Hines, 23, is a transgender woman.

DC Superior Court Judge Craig Iscoe was informed by a US Marshall that Hines would not be present in the courtroom due to her combative behavior while being escorted to court. She was sent back to jail.  

D.C. Witness previously reported that Hines displayed similar behavior during her previous court hearing that was held on Nov. 26. U.S Marshals did not allow her into the courtroom. 

Defense attorney Lisbeth Sapierstein and the prosecution had no objection to Judge Iscoe’s decision to continue the case. 

Hines is being held without bond.

The felony status conference is now scheduled to occur on Dec 4. 

Article By: Demetria Tymus

Murder Defendant Still Incompetent to Stand Trial, Report Says

A murder defendant is still incompetent to stand trial, according to a report from the  Department of Behavioral Health (DBH). 

Alisa Randall, 31, is charged with second-degree murder while armed for allegedly stabbing 59-year-old Ronald Jones in an apartment on the 1300 block of Euclid Street, NW on July 15. Apparently, Randall said Jones attacked her. She also said Jones sexually assaulted her daughter.

DC Superior Court Judge Craig Iscoe accepted the report.

Defense Attorney, Prather Guzman as well as the prosecution had no objections with the report. 

According to court documents, Randall was also found incompetent by DBH at her previous court hearing on Oct. 31. 

D.C. Witness previously reported, John Fowler, Randall’s previous defense attorney, said witnesses had information on Randall’s state of mind on the day of the homicide. He said the testimonies could provide a basis for a not guilty by insanity defense. 

Randall will continue to be held at the St. Elizabeth’s hospital, DC’s psychiatric hospital, where she will be observed. 

Judge Iscoe scheduled another medical observation hearing for Jan. 24. 

Article By: Demetria Tymus 

Victim’s Ex-Girlfriend Cries During Testimony

During a murder trial, a transgendered woman told a jury Dec. 2 about the abuse she endured at the hands of her ex-boyfriend. 

Sean Baker, 40, is charged with second-degree murder while armed for allegedly stabbing 35-year-old Robert Wiggins on the 300 block of 37th Street, SE on Jan. 31, 2016. Baker was initially charged with assault with the intent to kill. Baker is a transgender woman.

During the defense’s arguments, one of the victim’s previous girlfriends, who was also a transgendered woman, testified about Wiggins’ abusive nature and his alleged drug use. As the ex-girlfriend spoke to the jury she began to cry. 

The ex-girlfriend said Wiggins raped, stabbed and choked her, adding that he beat her at least five times a month. She also said Wiggins threatened to kill her if she tried to leave the relationship.

The ex-girlfriend said she was able to leave after she went to jail. “I don’t believe I would be here if we had gotten back together,” she said. 

Wiggins’ ex-girlfriend also said, when they were in a relationship, the two smoked crack together.

After the witness left the stand, DC Superior Court Judge Todd Edelman asked Baker if she would be testifying. Baker said no.

Judge Edelman also denied the defense’s motion to call EMT responders as witnesses for the case.

Baker’s defense lawyer, John Fowler, said he wanted to argue that the EMT responders were grossly negligent, which contributed to Wiggins’ death.

But, Judge Edelman said there was no evidence to support Fowler’s claim of gross negligence.

After the judge’s denied the motion, the defense rested.

Closing arguments are scheduled to begin on Dec. 3.

Danuellys Diaz wrote this article.

Search Continues for Murder Defendant Charged in 10 Year Old’s Death

A judge said police were still looking for a murder defendant who is connected to a drive-by shooting that killed a 10-year-old girl.  

Isaiah Murchison is charged with first-degree murder while armed; conspiracy; first-degree murder by drive-by or random shooting of a victim who was especially vulnerable due to age or physical infirmity while armed; possession of a firearm during a crime of violence; criminal street gang affiliation, felony or violent misdemeanor; and assault with the intent to kill while armed for his alleged involvement in the shooting of 10-year-old Makiyah Wilson on the 300 block of 53 Street, NE on July 16, 2018. 

Murchison is one of ten other co-defendants, including  Saquan Williams, Quincy Garvin, Mark Tee Price, Darrise Jeffers, Antonio Murchison, Gregory Taylor, Marquell Cobbs, Qujuan Thomas, and Quentin Michals. Quanisha Ramsuer is charged with obstruction of justice in relation to the shooting.

During a felony arraignment on Dec 2,  DC Superior Court Judge Ronna Lee Beck told the defense that a bench warrant has been out for Isaiah since August.

She said she will continue with court proceedings with the hopes that Isaiah is brought in soon. 

Taylor’s defense counsel also told Judge Beck that he intended to conduct independent DNA testing on a glove found on the scene. According to the prosecution, Taylor’s fingerprints are on the glove.

The other defendants, except for Isaiah, waived their rights to independent testing. 

A status hearing is scheduled on Feb. 21 2020, for all of the defendants.

Ellery Groth wrote this article.

Prosecutor Says He Tried to Obtain Missing Footage

After a defense team filed a  motion to dismiss a murder case, the prosecution tried to prove that counsel did everything possible to obtain all of the potential evidence.

Deon Crowell, 50, is charged with first-degree murder while armed for allegedly stabbing Joni Rockingham, 53, on the 300 block of 34th Street, NE on Dec. 12, 2017.

D.C. Witness previously reported that the defense team, Rachel McCoy and Elizabeth Weller, would be filing a motion to dismiss the case because of the prosecutions inability to preserve evidence.

The prosecution called several witnesses who were all police officers. Apparently, the officers searched for Rockingham when she went missing in Nov. 2017. The motions hearing, which began on Oct. 16, continued on Nov. 26 and Nov. 27.

The prosecutor also said he found some of the footage that was believed to be missing and disclosed it to the defense team. However, there was still a large amount missing which was why the hearing had to be held.

All of the officers wore body cameras and were recording while canvasing DC for the whereabouts of Rockingham. But, all the officers that testified had their footage erased due to the retention time on body cam footage with the specific tag of “incident no arrest.”

There have been 14 total officers who have testified thus far, who were almost all police recruits when Rockingham disappeared and was found murdered.

The prosecutor said he plans to call more police officers at the next hearing most of whom have also had their police footage erased from that time period.

The motions hearing is set to continue on Jan. 15, 2020.

Jaylin Hawkins wrote this article.

Document : Arrest Made in Homicide on 30th Street, SE

Officers from the Metropolitan Police Department arrested a 25-year-old man in connection to a homicide that occurred the day after the Thanksgiving holiday.

According to a press release, Devin Hill, a resident of Southeast, DC, was charged with first-degree murder while armed and assault with a dangerous weapon for allegedly shooting 28-year-old Michael Cunningham.

Cunningham, who was a resident of Northeast, DC, was located at a nearby fire station. He died on the scene.

Not far from where authorities located Cunningham, an adult male and female were found on the 3000 block of 30th Street, SE. The victims were taken to a local hospital where they were treated for non-life threatening injuries, according to the release.

Apparently, the shooting occurred on the 3000 block of 30th Street, SE.

[documentcloud url=”http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6563596-12-2-19-Arrest-Made-in-a-Homicide-3000-Block-of.html” responsive=true]

Document: Homicide on Shipley Terrace, SE

The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating a fatal shooting that occurred on the 2800 block of Shipley Terrace, SE on Nov. 30.

According to a press release, officers found a man suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. Twenty-two year old DeAngelo Ross was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The police department is offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in this homicide or any other homicide in Washington, DC. Anyone with information should call the police at 202-727-9099. Anonymous information may be submitted to the department’s Text Tip Line — 50411.

Document: Homicide on 30th Street, SE

The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating a fatal shooting that occurred on the 3000 block of 30th Street, SE on Nov. 29.

According to a press release, officers found a man and a woman suffering from gunshot wounds. The were treated at a local hospital for non-life threatening injuries.

A short time later, 28 year-old Michael Cunningham was located at a fire station in the area. He was also suffering from gunshot wounds.

Cunningham did not show any signs of life, according to the press release. He was pronounced dead at the fire station.

The police department is offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in this homicide or any other homicide in the District of Columbia. Anyone with information should call the police at 202-727-9099. Anonymous information may be submitted to the department’s Text Tip Line — 50411.

[documentcloud url=”http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6562906-11-29-19-Homicide-3000-Block-of-30th-Street.html” responsive=true]

Document: Two Men Killed on Thanksgiving Holiday

The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating to separate homicides that occurred on Thanksgiving. Both men were fatally shot.

According to a press release, officers located 25 year-old Tyree Pugh suffering from gunshot wounds on the 1700 block of Trenton Place, SE around 8:15 p.m. Pugh was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

[documentcloud url=”http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6562905-11-29-19-Homicide-1700-Block-of-Trenton-Place.html” responsive=true]

In a separate incident, officers found 28 year-old Michael Andre Francis suffering from gunshot wounds on the Unit block of Danbury Street, SW a little before noon.

The man was also pronounced dead at an area hospital. His name is being withheld until police can notify his next of kin.

[documentcloud url=”http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6562904-11-29-19-Homicide-Unit-Block-of-Danbury-Street.html” responsive=true]

The shootings that occurred on Nov. 28 were not related.

The police department is offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information on any homicide that has occurred in the District of Columbia. Anyone with information should call the police at 202-727-9099. Anonymous information can also be sent via the department’s Text Tip Line — 50411.

Murder Defendant Accepts Plea Deal

A murder defendant accepted a plea deal during his preliminary hearing on Nov. 26.

Keith Jenkins, 20, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter while armed for allegedly shooting 19-year-old Alvin Barnes on the 2200 block of Alabama Avenue, SE. Barnes died of a fatal shot to the head. 

Jenkins decided to waive his right to a preliminary hearing and entered a guilty plea to voluntary manslaughter while armed. He was initially charged with second-degree murder while armed. 

If DC Superior Court Judge Todd Edelman accepts the sentencing term, which was agreed to by both parties, Jenkins could face 11 years in prison and five years of supervised release. 

The charge holds a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison with 5 years of unsupervised release.

Jenkins’ defense attorney, Dorsey Jones, motioned for Jenkins to be released to a high intensity supervision program until his sentencing hearing because he willingly turned himself in when he found out the police were looking for him. Jenkins first appeared in DC Superior Court on Oct. 28. 

Judge Edelman denied the request because Jenkins has an accessory to theft charge and a robbery charge that he pleaded guilty to in Maryland. 

Judge Edelman also said he would look into whether Jenkins could be sentenced under the Youth Rehabilitation Act. 

A sentencing hearing is scheduled to occur on Feb. 7, 2020.

Danuellys Diaz wrote this story.

Document: Homicide on Rhode Island Ave, NE

The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating a fatal shooting on the 2500 block of Rhode Island Avenue, NE.

According to a press release, officers found 22-year-old Dante Hicks suffering from a gunshot wound. He was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The department is offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in this homicide or any other homicide in Washington, DC. Anonymous information can be submitted to the department’s Text Tip Line — 50411.

[documentcloud url=”http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6561894-11-26-19-Homicide-2500-Block-of-Rhode-Island.html” responsive=true]

Document: Homicide on Benning Road, SE

The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating a homicide that occurred on the 4700 block of Benning Road, SE.

According to a press release, officers found 17-year-old Eric Mercer, a resident of Northeast, DC, suffering from a gunshot wound on Nov. 22. He was transported to a local hospital. Mercer succumbed to his injuries on Nov. 26.

The police department is offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in this homicide or any other homicide in Washington, DC. Anyone with information about the case should call the police at 202-727-9099. Anonymous information may be submitted to the department’s Text Tip Line — 50411.

[documentcloud url=”http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6561875-11-26-19-Homicide-4700-Block-of-Benning-Road.html” responsive=true]