Search Icon Search site

Search

Judge Appoints Additional Counsel for Murder Defendant

During a status hearing on Aug. 14, a murder defendant received another lawyer to assist his primary counsel.

Denzel Grandson, 26, is charged with first-degree murder while armed for allegedly shooting 36-year-old  Simwone Milstead on the 2700 block of Langston Place, SE in 2014. Milstead succumbed to his injuries at a hospital the following day.

DC Superior Court Judge Juliet J. McKenna appointed Frances M. D’Antuono to assist Charles P. Murdter on Grandson’s defense team.

D.C. Witness previously reported on Aug. 1, that defense counsel Charles P. Murdter requested an additional hearing so a qualified lawyer could be found to replace Andrea P. Antonelli, who withdrew from the case.

Defense counsel also requested that Grandson be released under the high intensity supervision program (HISP) with GPS tracking and home confinement.

Judge McKenna denied the request on the grounds that Grandson has prior firearm offenses, including one that occurred while he was already under supervision. She said there was no condition of release that could guarantee the community’s safety.

Grandson is scheduled for a trial readiness hearing on Sept. 6.

Document: Pedestrian Killed on North Capitol Street, NW

On Aug. 13, a pedestrian was hit by a car on the 2600 block of North Capitol Street, NE.

According to a press release, Jascha Wilson, 29, was struck by a 2012 Dodge Challenger while in the roadway outside of the crosswalk. Wilson was transferred to a local hospital where he died on Aug. 14.

The driver of the Dodge Challenger did not remain on the scene, according to the press release. 

If anyone has information about the incident, please contact the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099.

This story will be updated as more information is released.



8 14 19 Traffic Fatality 2600 Block of North Capitol Street, Northwest (Text)

Document: Homicide on 22nd Street, SE

The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating a fatal stabbing that occurred on the 3400 block of 22nd Street, SE.

According to a press release, officers located 25-year-old, Lamont Johnson suffering from multiple gunshot wounds on Aug. 14. DC Fire and Emergency Services transported the victim to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police are offering up to a $25,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in this homicide or any other homicide in Washington, DC. Anyone with information should call the police at 202-727-9099. Anonymous information may also be submitted to the department’s Text Tip Line – 50411.



8 15 19 Homicide 3400 Block of 22nd Street Southeast (Text)

3 Defendants Still Await Trial for ’08 Homicide

Three murder defendants still wait to be tried in court for a crime that occurred nearly 11 years ago.

Mason Binion, 32, Victor Carvajal, 33, and Joshua Massaquoi, 32, are charged
with first-degree murder while armed for their alleged role in the shooting of Michael Francis Taylor, 21, on the 600 block of Farragut Street, NW, on June 22, 2008.

DC Superior Court Judge Todd E. Edelman scheduled co-defendants Binion and Carvajal for a hearing on Aug. 22. Their trial is set to begin on Jan. 21, 2020.

DC Superior Court Judge Hiram E. Puig-Lugo scheduled Massaquoi, whose case was separated from the other two defendants, for a status hearing on Aug. 28. Massaquoi’s trial date has not been set, yet.

According to court documents, the defendants picked up Taylor after he failed to acquire marijuana that Binion and Carvajal gave him money to purchase. Taylor was supposed to sell the marijuana and then pay back Binion and Carvajal.

The documents said Massaquoi was the driver when Taylor was picked up at a recreation center in Silver Spring, Md. Massaquoi drove everyone to an alley in the Brightwood Park neighborhood in DC, approximately 5 miles away.

Carvajal and Binion stepped out of the car with Taylor. Carvajal then struck Taylor in the head with a rock, and Binion allegedly shot him in the head with a pistol that belonged to Massaquoi.

According to court documents, Massaquoi approached the police with information about the murder in August of 2015, seven years after the murder took place. Apparently, he confessed to his role in the murder in subsequent interviews.

Massaquoi also told the police that when he picked Taylor up he expected Binion would shoot and kill him.

 

 

 

Document: Arrest in Fatal Shooting on North Capitol Street, NE

Officers from the Metropolitan Police Department arrested Aug. 12 a transgendered man for fatally shooting another man in Northeast, DC.

According to a press release, police arrested and charged 23-year-old Michael “Meisha” Hines with first-degree murder while armed for allegedly shooting Wendell Youngblood on the 1500 block of North Capitol Street, NE on Aug. 3.

Hines is also charged with assault with a dangerous weapon for an unrelated offense that occurred on Aug. 11 in the Unit block of Florida Avenue, NW. Apparently, Hines struck a person with a bat and fled the scene. The person was taken to an area hospital for non-life threatening injuries.

Hines is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Oct. 11.



Meisha Hines (Text)

Murder Defendant Shows Remorse After Receiving 20-Year Sentence

On Aug. 14, a murder defendant apologized to the family of his victim after being sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Joshua Artis pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for shooting Ryan Matthew Addison, 28, on the 200 block of Elmira Street, SW on Aug. 11, 2015. Artis, 29, was originally charged with first-degree murder while armed, possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, conspiracy, obstruction of justice and unlawful possession of a firearm.

All other charges were dropped in the agreement.

Addison’s family and close friends were present in court to speak to the character of the victim. They spoke about his love for fashion and how Artis had taken away a good person who the community needed.

They said they wanted Artis to find peace with his mistake.

Artis said in court that he did not mean to kill Addison and it was a case of mistaken identity. He also said he was remorseful for what he did.

DC Superior Court Judge Ronna Beck sentenced Artis to 20 years in prison with five years of supervised release on the recommendation of the prosecution. His sentence will be served concurrently with a sentence from a conviction in Virginia.

D.C. Witness previously reported that Artis is part of the Imperial Gangsta Bloods’ (IGB) gang. Apparently, he was “authorized,” by the leader, to kill Addison in retaliation for the killing of Rodney Delonte Davis on July 28, 2015.

Artis was transferred to Virginia to serve out his sentence.

 

Murder Defendant Pleads Guilty to Voluntary Manslaughter

During a preliminary hearing Aug. 12,  a murder defendant pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter.

Tyler Hurley, 21, is charged with voluntary manslaughter for his alleged involvement in the death of Kunal Talwar, 38, on Dec. 23 2018, at the intersection of 19th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW. According to court documents, Hurley was driving between 64 and 73 miles-per-hour in a 25 miles-per-hour zone.  He drove through a red light before colliding with Talwar’s car.

Hurley was originally charged with second-degree murder.

The prosecution recommended a three-year sentence under the Youth Act.

While DC Superior Court Judge Craig Iscoe accepted Hurley’s guilty plea, he is not legally required to honor the prosecution’s sentencing recommendation.

D.C. Witness previously reported that Hurley had been offered a plea agreement on June 25. It is not apparent if the plea Hurley accepted was the same agreement offered in June.

Hurley has been released under the high intensity supervision program (HISP). He will remain on HISP until his sentencing hearing, which is scheduled on Oct. 18.

Judge Orders Mental Competency Eval for Murder Defendant

During a trial readiness hearing Aug. 12, a judge ordered a murder defendant to undergo a mental competency evaluation.

Bernard Coleman III, 26, is charged with first-degree murder while armed, burglary, robbery while armed, possession of a firearm during a crime of violence and unlawful possession of a firearm with a prior crime of violence for allegedly shooting his father, Bernard Coleman Jr., 43. The shooting occurred on the 4000 block of Cole Boulevard on March 17, 2017.

DC Superior Court Judge Craig Iscoe accepted the DC Department of Mental Health’s recommendation that Coleman receive mental evaluation to determine his competency to stand trial.

All of Coleman’s trial dates have been vacated pending the results of his mental evaluation. His trial was scheduled to begin on Aug. 19.

D.C. Witness previously reported that defense counsel requested a mental exam on July 25 due to Coleman’s disciplinary issues while in custody.

Judge Iscoe said he expects the results of the evaluation to be ready by the next hearing.

Coleman is scheduled for a mental observation hearing on Sept. 9.

Cellphone Records Help Judge Find Probable Cause

During a preliminary hearing Aug. 9, a judge found probable cause that a murder defendant killed a man from his cellphone records.

Raymond Avent, 19, is charged with first-degree murder while armed for the killing of 23-year-old Rafiq Hawkins on the 1200 block of Brentwood Road, NE on March 23.

A Metropolitan Police Department detective told DC Superior Court Judge Kimberly Knowles that he believed Avent was connected to the murder based on cellphone records as well as photos and videos found on Avent’s phone.

The detective said surveillance video, that was not shown in court, showed three individuals getting out of a car and shooting at someone near Brentwood Road on March 23.

Another surveillance video, which was also not shown in court, showed three individuals walking into an apartment complex on Bladensburg Road in Maryland, the detective said.

The detective said the distance between the crime scene and the apartment complex is about two miles and that the individuals walked into the complex six minutes after the murder.

The detective said the photos and videos, found on Avent’s phone, were of him holding guns that matched the description of the guns that were recovered six days after the murder.

Apparently, an eye witness told police that people got out of a dark colored Cadillac and shot at the victim on the night of the murder.

According to the detective, a Cadillac Seville, which Avent was riding in, was pulled over on March 29. Avent was arrested and charged with possession of a firearm.

The detective also said the guns were thrown out of the Cadillac before the individuals were pulled over.

Defense counsel, Elizabeth Weller, said Avent’s DNA was not found on the weapons and the detective only received the arrest information through other officers, which she said she believed was hearsay.

Judge Knowles said there was probable cause that Avent killed Hawkins because of cellphone tower evidence that placed Avent near the crime scene and an apartment complex in a short timespan after the murder.

Avent’s next hearing is scheduled on Sept. 16.

 

Defense Argues DC Court Does Not Have Jurisdiction Over Murder Defendant’s Case

During a motions hearing Aug. 13, defense counsel argued that the District of Columbia Superior Court system may not have jurisdiction  over his client’s murder case.

Terrance Barnes, a resident of Southeast DC, is charged with first-degree murder while armed for allegedly shooting 57-year-old Barry Holmes on the 5100 block of Southern Avenue, SE.

Defense attorney, Jeffrey D. Stein, said Barnes, 28, may have been in Maryland at the time of the shooting even though Holmes’ body was found in DC. Stein said there is a possibility that the case would be relocated to Maryland.

But, the prosecution disagreed, saying Barnes was in DC when he fired at Holmes.

Even if he wasn’t, DC has jurisdiction over him since the “consequence” of the crime was in DC, the prosecutor said.

DC Superior Court Judge Craig Iscoe said he believed the prosecution was correct, but gave the defense until Aug. 20 to find case law supporting their interpretation.

The prosecution has until Aug. 28 to respond to any additional arguments made by the defense.

Barnes is scheduled for another motions hearing on Sept. 9.

Prosecution Fears Trial Won’t Begin On Time

During a status hearing Aug. 13, a prosecutor said she is worried that a murder trial will not begin on time because the defense has not conducted independent DNA testing, yet.

Eunise Roosevelt Milton, 63, is charged with first-degree murder while armed with an unknown metal object for allegedly killing 29-year-old Jerimi Meade. The incident occurred on the 400 block of Burbank Street, SE in 2016.

The prosecutor told the judge that the turnaround for all the necessary documents would be cutting it too close to the trial date.

Defense counsel, Ieshaah Murphy, told the judge that she received the case file, which contained all the evidence, the night before the hearing.

Murphy said the defense has identified a possible labatory. However, she said there is also another lab that may possibly have a quicker turnaround time.

DC Superior Court Judge Danya Dayson, said she would schedule quick turnaround dates for evidence consent orders, evidence transfer and evidence return to help the trial begin on time.

Milton is scheduled for a trial readiness hearing on Sept. 3.

Murder Defendant Commends Defense Counsel

During a status hearing Aug 13, a murder defendant told a judge that he was satisfied with the independent DNA testing done by his counsel.

Leonard Smith, 33 is charged with second-degree murder for allegedly stabbing Leonte Butler, 26, on the 4000 block of South Capitol Street, SE in 2017. According to the Metropolitan Police Department, Smith and two other individuals were seen on surveillance footage, covered in blood and changing clothes after the incident.

Smith told DC Superior Court Judge Danya Dayson, that he was “more than satisfied” with the evidence that his counsel had tested for DNA.

Defense counsel, Anthony Matthews, told the court that the defense was still waiting for some results. He told the judge that the trial date would not be affected.

A new prosecutor has also taken over the case.

A trial readiness hearing is scheduled on Nov. 1.

Document: Police Search for Murder Suspect

The Metropolitan Police Department has identified, but not yet apprehended, a suspect in connection to a fatal shooting that occurred on the 300 block of K Street, SE.

According to an MPD press release, Duron Hudson, 18, is wanted on a DC Superior Court arrest warrant for his alleged role in the shooting of 22-year-old George Hendrix on June 22.

An additional suspect was caught on video, but has not been identified.

The Metropolitan Police Department currently offers a reward of up to $25,000 to anyone that provides information which leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for any homicide committed in the District of Columbia. Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the police at 202-727-9099. Additionally, anonymous information may be submitted to the department’s Text Tip Line — 50411.



8 9 19 Suspect Wanted in a Homicide 300 Block of K Street, Southeast (Text)

Murder Defendant Has to Comply with Conditions of Release, Judge Says

During a status hearing Aug. 8, a  judge rejected the defense’s motion to remove a condition of release.

Markel Ford, 20, is charged with involuntary manslaughter for allegedly killing 51-year-old Sherron Pressley on Aug. 30, 2018. Both the victim and the suspect resided in Northeast DC at the time.

Defense attorney, John Fowler, argued for less strenuous conditions of release for his client. Fowler asked the judge for drug testing to be revoked because Ford had tested negative in the past.

Fowler also said it was difficult for Ford to travel to the mandatory drug testings. Apparently, Fowler has missed multiple testings.

Judge Todd Edelman said Ford needed to comply with his conditions of release in order for lesser conditions to be considered.

Edelman also said that Ford, who was released on personal recognizance with mandatory drug testing, needs to comply with his conditions to avoid going back into the High Intensity Supervision Program or jail.

Ford is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Sept. 19.

 

 

Judge Allows Firearms Expert to Testify Under Specific Conditions

During a motions hearing  Aug. 8, a judge limited a firearms expert’s testimony.

Marquette Tibbs, 26, is charged with first-degree murder while armed for allegedly killing Orlando Silver, III, 37, on the 1300 block of Howard Road, SE in 2016. Cinquan Cartledge, 24,  is also charged with the first-degree murder while armed. DC Superior Court Judge Todd Edelman granted a motion to sever the cases.

On Aug. 8, Judge Edelman granted a partial motion for Tibbs’ defense team. His ruling will not allow the prosecution’s firearms expert to link a specific bullet to the alleged murder weapon.

Apparently, an officer told Judge Edelman that Tibbs was caught throwing a .40 caliber Smith and Wesson semi-automatic pistol into the woods, D.C. Witness previously reported.

Judge Edelman said the witness would be able to link the bullet to the class of the same type of gun. Edelman also said the expert could testify on the reliability of the methods used to test bullet markings.

According to court documents, Tibbs’ defense counsel, Jessica Willis, filed a motion to exclude expert firearm testimony in December of 2018.

Neither the defense nor the prosecution argued against the ruling.

Tibbs is scheduled for a felony arraignment on Aug. 23. His trial is scheduled to begin on Nov. 18.

Cartledge is scheduled for a status hearing Dec. 4, 2019. His trial is scheduled on May 4, 2020.