Search Icon Search site

Search

Ammaad Chase-El ordered to continue mental evaluation

A judge on Tuesday ordered one man charged with the murder of Antonio Ayala, 34, back to St. Elizabeth’s hospital to continue a mental evaluation for 30 days.

Ammaad Chase-El, 23, appeared in court Tuesday and has been undergoing a mental evaluation since Oct. 2015. According to St. Elizabeth’s hospital, he is still incompetent to undergo a trial for first-degree murder.

Chase-El is one of the three suspects being charged with the first-degree murder of Ayala in Mar. 2015.

Herman Odom, 23, and Javonte Odom, 20, are also being charged with first-degree murder. Both men are currently being held without bail.

While in court, the judge encouraged Chase-El to remain positive after her told the hospital he was feeling hopeless and depressed because of his legal situation. He said his treatment at the hospital was “okay.”

Chase-El is scheduled to appear back in court March 29.

21-year-old man fatally shot Monday evening


Police say a man was shot and killed Monday evening.

Deandre A. Sibblies, 21, was found with a gunshot wound in the 4500 block of Quarles Street, NE, Monday afternoon at around 5:40 p.m. He was taken to the hospital where he died, according to police.

An unknown source that spoke with WUSA9 said the crime scene looked “a crap game gone sideways“.

Police are still investigating the case for a suspect.

Two men fatally shot 90 minutes apart Friday night

Two men were fatally shot 90 minutes apart in the Northeast quadrant of the city Friday night.

According to police, an adult male was found suffering with gunshot wounds at around 8:15 p.m. in the 900 block of Eastern Ave, NE. The man was taken to the hospital where he died. Police have not yet identified him.

Later, at 9:42 p.m. Dante Kinard was found with a gunshot wound in the 1800 block of Benning Road, NE. Kinard, 21, was taken to the hospital where he also died from his injuries.

Police say the investigation into both homicides is ongoing.

Friday was the second day in a row the district experienced two homicides in a day. On Thursday, Clifton Francis and David Watkins Jr. were killed in a double homicide. Police have arrested a suspect in that case.

 

 

 

Police investigating double homicide

Police are investigating a double homicide inside a home on 58th Street in Northeast Thursday.

Police have identified the victims as two males, but are not releasing the victims’ names until the families are notified.

According to police, the two men were found inside a home in the 500 block of 58th Street, NE, at around 1 p.m. Police responded to the home for a call of a shooting, when they found the two men inside. One victim died at the scene, while the other died at the hospital.

Police say the investigation is ongoing.

Daron Wint enters not guilty plea for quadruple murder

The man charged with a quadruple homicide in a Woodley Park mansion last year entered a not guilty plea to all 20 felony charges against him Friday.

Wint, 34, who appeared in D.C. Superior Court in shackles and an orange jumpsuit was indicted by a grand jury Wednesday for the alleged murder and kidnapping of Savvas Savopoulos, Amy Savopoulos, Philip Savopoulos and Veralicia Figueroa.

According to the indictment, Wint allegedly held the Savopoulos family and Figueroa inside the home, and demanded a $40,000 ransom. Wint is alleged to have stabbed and beaten Savvas and Amy Savopoulos, and Figueroa, with a bat which caused their death. He is charged with Philip’s death for allegedly beating and burning him in the fire, which led firefighters to discover the four bodies inside the Savopoulos home. The indictment also alleges Wint attempted to burn down the Savopoulos home. He is also charged for allegedly stealing an item of property from the Savopoulos home.

Two of Figueroa’s family members were present in court.

Wint is next scheduled to appear in court on May 20.

Judge denies bail for man charged with Barcode murder

A judge ordered the man charged with the stabbing death of Robinson Pal held without bail Thursday.

Antoine Byrd, 35, was charged with first-degree murder while armed for Pal’s death.

Despite his attorney’s argument, the judge said there was probable cause to keep Byrd with no bail until his next court appearance.

According to charging documents, a witness saw Byrd and Pal get into a fight while at Barcode on Jan. 31. According to a security guard quoted in the documents, Pal and Byrd were separated by security, when Pal fell to floor. When his shirt was lifted, a stab wound to the left side of his chest was discovered. Police and security began CPR on Pal while another security guard outside the club saw Byrd run out.

A second victim was also stabbed at Barcode on the same night, but was rushed to the hospital and was later released.

After the stabbing, a friend of the witness’ was accepted to follow Byrd’s private Instagram account and recognized him as the same man from the stabbing. The witness googled Byrd’s Instagram from a police laptop where a police officer, who is familiar with Byrd from “numerous prior interactions,” said the person from the google images was Byrd.

Police also received an anonymous tip that Byrd might be associated with Glizzy Gang.

[documentcloud url=”http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2714790-Antoine-Byrd-charging-documents.html”]

 

 

Two suspects arrested for 1991 triple homicide

D.C. Police on Wednesday announced they had made two arrests for a triple homicide case from 1991.

The suspects, Michael Green, 44, and Benito Valdez, 45, allegedly fatally shot three people on April 23, 1991. According to a Washington Post article from that time, the three victims–Curtis Pixley, 29, Keith Simmons, 24, and Samantha Gillard, 23, were found shot in the head in Langdon Park.

“We hope this provides some hope to the other families who have lost loved ones,” Assistant Chief  Peter Newsham said.

According to police, the victims were acquaintances.

Newsham said that the motive for the homicides may have been drug related–but said the murders had “no relation” to the victim’s histories. Prior to his murder, Pixley had been charged with second-degree murder.

Newsham reminded the public that there is a $25,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest or conviction in a homicide case.

“These cold cases, we do not stop investigating them…We will not rest until we are able to close all of the homicides,” Newsham said.

Daron Wint indicted on 20 felony counts for quadruple murder

Daron Wint was indicted by a grand jury on 20 felony counts, including 12 counts of first-degree murder, on Wednesday, according to the U.S. Attorney for D.C.

Wint, who was arrested in May for the alleged murder of Savvas Savopoulos, was indicted on charges for allegedly brutally murdering Savopoulos’ wife, Amy, their son, Philip and their housekeeper, Veralicia Figueroa.

According to the District Attorney’s Office, Wint is charged with 12 counts of first-degree murder while armed, all with aggravating circumstances, four counts of first-degree murder in the course of a burglary, four counts of first-degree premeditated murder, four counts of kidnapping and one count each for first-degree burglary, extortion, arson, and first-degree theft.

According to the indictment, Wint savagely murdered three members of the Savopoulos family and Figueroa while he kept them locked in their own house on May 13 and 14.

According to the indictment, Wint allegedly held the Savopoulos family and Figueroa inside the home, and demanded a $40,000 ransom. Wint is alleged to have stabbed and beaten Savvas and Amy Savopoulos, and Figueroa, with a bat which caused their death. He is charged with Philip’s death for allegedly beating and burning him in the fire, which led firefighters to discover the four bodies inside the Savopoulos home. The indictment also alleges Wint attempted to burn down the Savopoulos home. He is also charged for allegedly stealing an item of property from the Savopoulos home.

Because of the nature of the crimes, Wint’s indictments also carry additional counts for “aggravating circumstances” because of the heinous nature of the murders and kidnappings, according to the documents.

Wint was arrested for the murder after he was seen driving Savvas Savopoulos’ car and his DNA matched that of leftover pizza crust found in the Savopoulos home.

Wint was arrested on May 21. He is scheduled to be arraigned on the charges on Friday.

According to the release, if Wint is found guilty, he could face a maximum of life in prison without parole on each of the 12 murder charges. Each murder charge carries a minimum of 30 years in prison. Wint could also face 30 years for the kidnapping of each adult and 45 for the kidnapping of a minor. Additionally, Wint could be sentenced to a 30 years maximum for the burglary with arson, extortion and first-degree felony at a maximum of 10 years each.

[documentcloud url=”http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2714789-Daron-Wint-indictment.html”]

Maurico Walker fatally shot Wednesday afternoon

A 23-year-old man was fatally shot Wednesday afternoon, according to police.

Maurico Walker, of Northeast, was found with gunshot wounds on the 1900 block of 18th Street, SE, at around at 4:00 p.m.

Police said Walker was taken to the hospital where he died.

 

Police make arrest in fatal shooting of Tyree Banks


Police have made an arrest for the fatal shooting of 19-year old Tyree Banks last November.

20-year old William Lee Lewis, of Southeast, was found hiding in a closet by authorities in South Carolina. Lewis was extradited, and on Feb. 9 he was charged with first-degree murder while armed. Police had been searching for him as a suspect for the murder since November. 

Banks was shot in the 5000 block of Benning Road, SE, on Nov. 3 2015. He was found by police and then taken to a hospital, where he then died.

Man fatally shot on Unit block of M Street

Police say a man was shot and killed on the unit block of M street, NW around 8:40 p.m. Tuesday.

The victim, identified as Jamar Morris, was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Police did not release any further details.

 

Warrant: Robert Leroi Wiggins killed during domestic dispute

The woman charged with fatally stabbing Robert Leroi Wiggins said she stabbed the victim during an argument in their shared apartment, according to the police arrest warrant.

Sean M. Baker has been charged with second-degree murder while armed for Wiggins’ death. Baker was initially charged with assault with intent to kill, but the charges were upgraded when Wiggins died on Jan. 31. The initial fight happened on Jan. 27.

According the warrant, Wiggins was initially taken to the hospital and underwent surgery for a stab wound to the heart, but later died from his injuries.

Baker initially told the police that a drug dealer named “Peanut” assaulted Wiggins in the apartment and ran off. But, there was no surveillance footage of a man leaving the apartment around the time of the assault, and Baker later confessed to accidentally stabbing Wiggins in an argument, while the two were wrestling for control of a knife.

Baker told police that Wiggins accused her of stealing his wallet. The two began to argue and, according to the warrant, “Wiggins reportedly collected all the knives and screwdrivers from the kitchen and placed them in a book bag.”

While Wiggins was placing a butcher knife in the back pack, a small knife fell out. The two then wrestled for the knife, and Wiggins was stabbed.

The warrant noted that the two have lived together and been romantically involved for over a year.